I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wild, Weird and Wacky Wednesday: Poor, Poor Charlie





Q:Why did this man write so many stories featuring neglected, deprived and over-worked children?

A:Because as a youngster, he was just that.

His Father, John Dickens, was thrown in to debtor’s prison when the boy was young—leaving him to slave away at a factory which put the black hue on boots. His main responsibility was to glue labels on to shoe shine bottles.
Sounds horrible, right?
This is probably what gave him all his fuel to write.

According to Wikipedia (a most trusted source of superior authority), the debtor's prison John Dickens was sent to looked like this:




It housed not only those that owed debt, but people who partook in behavior that was deemed socially inappropriate. We no longer throw people in jail for debt, unless they owe child's support, like this guy:





Desmond Hatchett, of Dayton Ohio, who has 21 children and is 29 years old. But that is a different story....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: