I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Grin of a Cheshire Cat

There is no use trying, said Alice: One can't believe impossible things. I dare say you haven't had much practice said the Queen. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.--Lewis Carroll

I woke this morning at 5:30 after pressing the snooze once. I woke and I knew what I had to do.
The words came easily. And then, as I walked the dog around the block it came to me: the impossible thing.

In fact, it came to me exactly as all impossible things do: as a fairy tale.

In the fairy tale I was a successful, published author of a book which celebrated the life of everyday Americans. I began every piece with the scene in which I asked them to "tell me your story". Most of the people were strangers, but I did a piece on my mother.

The quote inspired me to realize that it isn't an impossible thing. It is my dream-- and I have to pursue it.

I am still contemplating how I will get my "stories"-- an ad on craigslist? Creep around a local bar? I am bound to get some people who need to talk more than I can listen. How will I handle that?

And I am adding this project to my current memoir project of 1k words a day. It will be busy, but it will be fabulous.

It's good to dream impossible things. It's even better when they come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: