I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Life

So, I was pretty sure my life would go like this:
1. Go to and complete college
2. Save the world
3. Make lots of money
4. Buy a house
5. Have some babies
6. Travel the world
7. Die (preferably before Art because I can’t bear thinking about life without him)

Here is how my life has gone (so far):
1. Start college
2. Fail out
3. Mosey around Ohio
4. Go back to College
5. Get married
6. Complete College
7. Change career direction
8. Change Masters degree direction
9. Get a job I am far too qualified for but I actually kinda love
I no longer believe I will save the world, although I am quite sure I can change it-- at least for a few people-- and this brings me joy. I am not going to make boats of money. The minute I chose English over an MBA I decided that. I don’t want to buy a house right now, or make babies, and I would rather travel the country than the world. So who the hell am I and where do I go? The path is so long and winding that I can’t see the end. Do I stay with the state? Do I change offices? Do I teach English or try to get into editing or do I stay in higher ed and be an advisor? Do we have kids? Do we stay in Dayton? Do we quit our jobs and bounce from nudist colony to nudist colony, the hottest 500 couple anyone has seen?
And I guess the answer is who the hell knows. And I guess, because I have no other choice, I’ll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: