I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Work. A necessary evil.

There are people in life that act like going into work every day is the same as being asked to cut off their hand. And maybe for them, it is that bad.

I am not saying that I love my job so much that I want to spend every waking moment here. But, as sad as it is, I am saying that if I didn’t have work--well, I’m not really sure what I would do with myself.

Ok, dear readers, that is a lie. I know exactly what I would do with myself. A bottle of jack and horrible day time television. I would force myself to clean for two hours and then fall into the most destructive pattern you could think of. Pizza and booze and self-loathing would abound. Two months in I would be addicted to crack and four months after that, Art would leave me. True story.

I live with an incredibly self-disciplined person. This amazing man could fill his days with productive quests, working on his own projects and saving the world on the side. He would, in fact, probably work harder at home without a vocation, than he currently does going to work every day. This amazes me because I am simply not this way.

I find myself longing for Fall quarter to begin, for the routine of a busy life and the demands of balancing personal interests with work and continuing education. I need to be busy. Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: