I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Monday, August 3, 2009

So far

This Saturday I had the privilege of hanging out with a newlywed couple. I am closer to this couple, I would estimate, than I am to any other and so acting as their third wheel does not overly frustrate me. Things were a little hairy, and I was quickly reminded of how great it is to have a few years of marriage under my belt. I would not say that my marriage is perfect, because anyone that says that is lying directly to your face and may be prone to drinking mouthwash for a buzz before heading to a soccer game. I would say however, that Art and I are in that magical lull of time where all the hard work so far has paid off and the hard road ahead of us is not overwhelming or threatening. I love being married, and love even more the comfort of knowing someone well enough to navigate even the roughest seas with the knowledge of a veteran.
This visit also gave me the rare opportunity to realize just how far I have come, and how far we have come as a couple. As we look at houses, we rarely give ourselves the credit we deserve. We got through my undergrad, we got through (almost) the first quarter of Art going back to school, I got a great job with Wright State, we learned to budget. In all reality, we are right on track. Sometimes it just takes visiting people that are a few steps behind you to realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: