I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Becoming who I want to be

"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life-- and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."-- Georgia O'Keeffe

Oh snap, Georgia. You do know how to tell it straight.
And so this begins the long process of becoming who I want to be. I am a scared little mouse at a times, and I have to take the dive into becoming who I really want to be.

Of course, who you are has ways of sneaking into your life whether you invite it or not. I have always stood for the under dog, have always felt the need to fight the enormous divide in society between those who got it all and those who have so little. And so it is no surprise that my research as a grad student brings me to critical pedagogy-- Every. Single. Time. And it is no surprise that I married out of my socioeconomic class. You see, you who you are no matter how hard you try.

But what I am talking about changing are those little things: how I spend my evenings, what I do with my writing (try to publish), what I read, who I spend time with. The first step is the little things: completing the to-do list, making the initial change no matter how hard.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. May Georgia be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: