I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Up Past Eight, and Other Remarkable Feats

I am awake past eight and actually being productive. I am totally engrossed in my most recent book (Neffineker, Her Fearful Symmetry).

I made cookies (little turd things with peanut butter taste to them-- disasterous) and a cake, to make up for the cookies. I even took a phone call past eight from a friend. I am going to look over her resume.

Yes, I would say I am impressed with me.

I tried to sit down and remember a time in my ife in great detail and write about it. What I learned is that memoir writing has a whole lot to do with being able to laugh at yourself. When you're throwing your parental unit (i.e. "The Time Dad Weed Wacked the Tree) or significant other (The day My Husband Fell on His ass in the Snow)under the bus, life seems easy. But when you are admitting that you are, in fact, flawed-- things get a little tougher. Add to this remembering times in your life that (although they are hilarious) you would prefer to forget, and you have one messy night of reliving before you. And that is so not fun.

I am wondering if stretching the truth will help me on this. Maybe if I say that the other people were truly outrageous, I will forget while writing all those things that I now adamantly regret.
As we get older, we realize who we want to be. The best of us work to become that person. I don't think I give myself enough credit for such attempts, because certainly who I am today is a far cry from the disaster that ran around doing obscene things not so long ago.

Anyway, this is the path of memoir writing. This is the challenge. I accept it...but it won't be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: