I am a twenty-something dreamer, reader, writer and teacher. I am a wife, a health conscious revolutionary. I am a humanitarian, a world-traveler, a friend. I am not a feminist, but I love being a woman. I am an academic advisor and a teacher. I am working on a Master's degree in Rhetoric, which means I have a love affair with words.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wild and Wacky Wednesday: The Drama of the Literate and Dead

Hello crazy kitties and foxes.
It is time for the hour of weird, wacky and wild:

This lady:

Gertrude Stein

and this guy:

Ernest Hemmingway

Used to have a very complicated relationship. It had something to do with this lady as well:


Alice Tolkas

You see, Gertrude Stein convinced a young Ernest Hemmingway to drop journalism and focus on his fiction. This worked out very well for him, and she reaped some of the rewards for that as he pushed and plugged her books left and right.

Speaking of pushed and plugged; word has it that Ernest was overly earnest to see more of Gertrude. He constantly encouraged her to “switch teams” but to no avail. Gertrude kept house with Alice Tolkas until the day she died.

Gertrude is also known for writing one of the first coming out stories and for having some floundering underground love affairs when she studied at John Hopkins.

No doubt this wild threesome had plenty to offer our world.

Stay tuned for next week when we talk about how child slavery bettered the literary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: